ACE WESTERN BELTS
CIRCLE A BRAND
HIGH GRADE US STANDARD
OLD SOUTHWESTERN TRAILS
ORANGE EMPIRE RAILWAY MUSEUM
SAN FERNANDO VALLEY MERCANTILE
TROY O'SHEA HANDMADE
USN ALL HANDS MAGAZINE ARCHIVE
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
The Bell 500-TX Helmet - Worth its Weight in Gold!!!
As far as I know the Bell 500-TX helmet was first produced in 1962 but I've been watching the 1968 examples like the one shown here on Ebay. It boggles my mind that these helmets sell between $850 - $2,045 ($2,045 is what the pictured helmet sold for). I was told these helmets are more form fitting and don't appear like a huge egg on your head, thanks Tjebbe, but man does that justify the exorbitant prices they fetch? I can't say as I've never owned or tried one on but there has to be something special about these gems in order to grab over a grand each, even with a shot lining. Also, it appears the white ones are the most sought after but I've only seen white and orange. If anyone knows the secret behind these helmets please fill me in!
This 1968 500-TX sold on a Japanese helmet site was considered MINT; it has the foam piece on top. Geez, I wonder what it went for??? Acutally, I was doing a little reading online and saw that the 500-TX was the first helmet to get the Snell rating, however I'm doubtful that milestone plays much of a factor in its high value???
Here's a link to an earlier post of 500-TX that I thought to be late 50s but according to Bell it could only be as early as 1962 but as you will see it has very cool Bell and Bates waterslide decals on it: http://nostalgiaonwheels.blogspot.com/2008/06/1959-1960-bell-helmet-distributed-by.html
The two photos above come from an early 60s car accessory catalog I picked up at a local swapmeet today. The helmet pictured appears to be the same vintage as the one in the link above!
- ► 2018 (56)
- ► 2017 (62)
- ► 2016 (248)
- ► 2015 (121)
- ► 2014 (242)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (96)
- ► 2011 (327)
- ► 2010 (568)
- Black Angels Poster in High Definition!
- Wild Angels Bikes
- Late 50s Bell 500-TX Helmet vs. Mid 60s Version!
- Mondo Bondo Shovel
- 1960s Mondo Mod Poster!
- Ed Thomas' '41 Knuckle Drag Bike
- Pre-unit Swingarm Mild Custom!
- 1930 Indian Factory Hillclimber
- Gabe has Been Shanghaied!
- Flawless Harley JD Racer!
- Vintage Stanton Police Dept Photo
- 1958 Dragstrip Riot Movie Still - Attack of the Pr...
- Angels Die Hard Lobby Cards from 1970
- Customs 4 the Show & Strip!
- Old Racers & Miscellaneous!
- Love Cycles Merchandise
- Wild Angels Posters in High Definition!
- 1959 AMA Trophies & Award Plaques!
- Inland Vans Berdoo
- 1970 Rolling Stones "Gimme Shelter" Poster
- A Plethora of "Motorcycle Gang" Stills
- 1961 Sporty Cafe Custom!
- Selections from the "BECK" '61-'62 Catalog
- Phil Ross' Triumph Show Bike & Doug Hirschberg's S...
- Cool 1970's Reissue Great Escape Poster!
- Swingarm Pre-unit with Sky-High Bars!
- Generator Shovel Chop from 1967!
- 1953 "Hot Blood" Poster
- Bruce Dern Rides in "Cycle Savages"
- 1958 Sporty Drag Bike!
- Frank Weston's "Mint Pearl" 45 in 1959
- How to Steal the Girl While on Your Bike!
- Knuckle Streamliner Cameleon Picture
- Filmfax Magazine - June/July 1991 - Issue No. 27
- The Bell 500-TX Helmet - Worth its Weight in Gold!...
- Random Biker Movie Photos!
- Daytona - Racing on the Beach!
- Original Late 80s Santa Cruz Jim Phillips "Screami...
- Hell on Wheels M/C Rally & Beauty Pageant - June 2...
- The Tropical Cyclettes M.C. / M.F.
- The 1950's Avon Tire Selection
- Cool Toons!
- Gary Littlejohn's Best Magazine Cover!
- Kid Deuce's Wild Flicker Photo Sets!
- Bates in 1962!
- 1970 Aussie Hot Rod Show Photos!
- UK Drag Bikes of Insanity!
- Bates in 1954!
- High Resolution "Wild One" Photos!
- Building a Chopper / Smokestackin' Knucklehead!
- I've Got the "Yellow Fever"
- Fully Dressed Panheads
- The Teenage Taxi!
- Destro Just Got a Knucklehead...
- Dick Hirschberg's Knucklehead
- Norm Grabowski's Pan with Side Hack!
- The "Enchanted Parrot" Revisited!
- Give'em Enough Rocks, Rope, & Engraving! - Gabe's ...
- '41 Chevy Outside Hollywoodland
- Interesting Old Oil Filters
- '48 Triumph T-100 Desert Racer Custom
- Bud Ekins "In Flight"
- Danny Lyon Cover Art
- Knucklehead With Triple Carb Set-up!
- The Balancing Act!
- Orange Peelin' Panhead
- Dave of San Diego's Crazy Pan & Sporty!!!
- 1960s Bates Striped Cafe Jacket - Padded
- Screamin' Suzuki Roth Decal
- The Legend of Indian Gary!
- Ernie Dorsey's Pre-unit Drag Bike
- Very Mildly Customized Matchless
- Pre-unit Drag Bikes to Freak-Out About!
- ▼ June (73)
Nostalgia's Weekly Favorites
This is some pretty handy information from the Lightning Red Wing Book 2!
As far as I know the Bell 500-TX helmet was first produced in 1962 but I've been watching the 1968 examples like the one shown here...
It's safe to say I'm a huge fan of WWII USN deck jackets. Though they're not very practical for wear unless its very cold out ...
"According to motorcycle lore, '74 or More' was a term coined by Bill 'Hillbilly' Hill in the sixties while he was in B...
I haven't received my copy yet but from what I understand this book has at least 75 photos of the Detroit Outlaws Motorcycle Club from ...