ACE WESTERN BELTS
CIRCLE A BRAND
HIGH GRADE US STANDARD
OLD SOUTHWESTERN TRAILS
ORANGE EMPIRE RAILWAY MUSEUM
SAN FERNANDO VALLEY MERCANTILE
TROY O'SHEA HANDMADE
USN ALL HANDS MAGAZINE ARCHIVE
Monday, September 21, 2009
1967 - Captain Pepi's Motorcycle & Zeppelin Repair (Ed Roth Megacycle)
Thanks to Rene of Australia for sending the finished Mega Cycle picture from HAMB and Paul at Show & Go for keeping up with this bike. I'm going to call the Petersen Museum tomorrow to see if the cycle as well as the other cars on auction are available for viewing with purchase of a museum admission ticket. I was reading on the auction website that a preview is happening on Friday 09/25/09 from like 9:00AM - 6:00PM but I'm unaware if the non-bidder is allowed to peek in at the offerings. If so, this is probably the one and only opportunity we will have to see this bike, a bike which is quite possibly the Larry Howard Glittercycle's fraternal twin, separated at birth.
(UPDATE 09/22/09 - I was reading on the auction website and called Petersen for the SECOND time and it was CONFIRMED a preview is happening on Friday 09/25/09 from 9:00AM - 6:00PM and the cars / memorabilia can be seen for the price of admission, $10.00 on Friday only ($8.00 to park), and on Saturday, same hours as Friday, but you have to purchase the catalog for $80.00 which comes with two admission tickets for Saturday viewing and/or auction participation. Auction location: Petersen Automotive Museum, 6060 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90036)
“(Fritz) Scheneck also tackled the restoration of its motorcycle, the famed and award winning custom Triumph built by Bob Aquistapase of Hollister, CA in the 1960s for Ed Roth, after he was inspired by a Revell Model. The custom chopper is painted Fire Red and has a modified rigid frame with an integrated fuel tank.” RM Auctions
This is most likely the Revell model of inspiration, the 1/25 scale Triumph Motorcycle, which has an uncanny resemblance to the Larry Howard Glittercycle.
See how the model above is almost an exact replica of the Glittercycle to the "T" yet the model has a gigantic 21" looking rear wheel and a front motormount to frame stay.
Color shade, frame molding around seat and fender connection, La Selle tank molding, and triple down tube striping on the Mega Cycle perfectly mirrors the Glittercycle. Separated at birth; it would seem a highly probable conclusion?
- ► 2017 (62)
- ► 2016 (248)
- ► 2015 (121)
- ► 2014 (242)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (96)
- ► 2011 (327)
- ► 2010 (568)
- Headturning Details!
- Angel Unchained Poster from 1970
- World's Fastest Indian - 2005
- Rocket Skates???
- Funkshun Junkshun
- More 2006 Brucker Auction Jems
- Wild & Crazy Swedish Custom
- Dave Mann Originals @ The 2006 Brucker Collection ...
- Mr. Gasser & the Wierdos LP
- Space Age Show Car Interiors!
- Safety First!
- Great T-shirt Mr. Dylan
- Early 70s Von Sol Custom Paint T-shirt
- Mega Cycle Teaser (Sold for $60,500, Seems Low)
- The Wild One Set to Robert Gordon's "Too Fast to L...
- Fender & P-pad
- Subtle Hints
- Blown Unit Monster!
- Mickey Hall's Pre-unit Drag Bike
- RM Auction Photo Requests for 09/25/09
- Bob Boyle Santa Cruz Sticker
- The Angry Breed - 1968
- The Ribbed Fender is Back!
- Born Free Cycle Show - 09/26/09
- Cycles South - 1971
- Swingin' Summer Poster
- 1967 - Captain Pepi's Motorcycle & Zeppelin Repair...
- Motorcycle Gang - 1957
- The Ride That Burns!
- Unique Fiberglass Gas Tank
- Sporty Spice and Everything Nice!
- Flickr Pre-Unit Twins Gallery
- Salty Trumpet Racer!
- Cool Molding!
- Roth Monster Tees Circa 1964
- Cycle Zombies 3rd Annual MC Rally & BBQ - 09/26/09...
- WWII Side Hack
- 1969 Wild Wheels Posters
- Stylish Sportster!
- 1953 Wild One Movie Pressbook
- Mini-Skirt Mob Poster - Circa 1968
- Robt. William's 1966 Watts Sweatshirt Art
- Blown Lightning!
- The '60s Beach Film Craze
- Real Clean & Basic Panhead Custom!
- Skateboarding in 1967
- 1963 Weirdo-ohs-Type Mani-Yack T-shirt Transfers
- 1st Annual Brooklyn Invitational Custom Bike Show ...
- 1966 Weekend Warriors Drag Racing Poster (Hi Def)
- 1950s Wild One "Ring of Fire" Photo Still
- Late 60's / Early 70's Chopper Photos
- Gordon the Goat's Triumph Revisited
- A Couple of Danny Lyon Bikerider Photos
- Hellcats Movie Soundtrack Back Cover
- 1950s Hook-Fast Motorcycle Cap - James Dean
- Smith's James Dean Zundapp Poster
- 1968 Roach "Asphalt Animal" Iron-on Transfer
- Pre-unit with Twin Tips
- Bob Ludvigson's "Scorpion" at the Show
- Late 50's - Early 70's Riddell Kra-Lite Suspension...
- Cheesy Riders
- 1967 Devils Angels "Skulls" Levis Big E 70505 Vest...
- Wild Angels Photo Still!
- Rocked by the Rockers!
- Batman on Wheels
- Roth 1964 Comic Cover (Hi Resolution)
- Rat Fink Circa 1986 - Totally 80s (High Res)
- BMX Bandits - 1983 (Super Hi Res)
- Jack Emmott 820cc Pre-Unit Big Bore Kit...
- 50s / 60s Hap Jones Waterslide Decal
- 1960 Wild Ones Lobby Card - Super Hi Res!
- 1939 Clothier Interview
- 1968 Roach Studios Triumph T-shirt Iron-on Transfe...
- The Wild Injun!
- FOR SALE - Honda Cafe Racer by Seth of Portland
- Spectacular Swingarm
- A Mother & Her Triumph - 1950s
- On Any Sunday in "High Definition"
- 2004 Honda CB50R Road Race Bike
- ▼ September (82)
Nostalgia's Weekly Favorites
This is some pretty handy information from the Lightning Red Wing Book 2!
As far as I know the Bell 500-TX helmet was first produced in 1962 but I've been watching the 1968 examples like the one shown here...
Correct me if I'm wrong as this Ebay bike is an "exact" replica of Peter Fonda's Panhead in Wild Angels but I don'...
This Dukes San Gabriel Valley 1948 Chevy Fleetline was at the Chinga Las Vegas Show last weekend looking the part! Great car!
Both of these photos came from a late 60s Men's Magazine article on the Hells Angels.
The BECK logo in the early '60s! I had no idea ANDERSON footpegs were being made this early. I thought they were just a late 60s or ...
Thanks to Ragin', Full-On for sending the link to this original 1966 Wild Angels vest currently up on Ebay with abou...