ATR - At-The-Risers
Freedom Machinery & Accessories / Chopped Out
Hell on Wheels MC
Petersen Automotive Museum
Small City Cycles
The Speed Age Blog!
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
1960s Bates Leather Racing Shirt (Padded)
The first indication of a Bates jacket is the "slash" front pockets. Even without a tag, you can typically tell a Bates jacket by its characteristic "slash" breast pockets.
The western cut back is also a very good indication that you have a genuine Bates jacket. You can find Bates jackets without the western cut stitching but most of the jackets have this characteristic design. The two tone Harley colors and "Easy Rider" sleeve striping make this jacket extra rad, in addition to the padding. Scotty Stopnik of Cycle Zombies found this gem!
The Bates racing flag tag with Bates script is an indication that your jacket is from the 1960s. Earlier Bates tags have a motorcycle with the Bates logo (50s - early 60s I'm guessing) whereas early to mid 70s Bates tags have block letters and smaller racing flags. 44 indicates the chest size and the 'M' designates the length of the jacket, with 'M' denoting Medium.
Talon, Seval, and Conmar zippers are typically used on Bates jackets. Typically if you see a small Talon zipper you can nail the jacket as from the 60s or earlier. Later talons are longer and taper from small to large and are about twice as long as the pulls shown here.
- ► 2017 (62)
- ► 2016 (248)
- ► 2015 (121)
- ► 2014 (242)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (96)
- ► 2011 (327)
- ► 2010 (568)
- Back Down the Hill!
- Allen of ARD Magnetos
- At the Drags!
- Pep Boys Type Ripple Pipe in 1969???
- Mini Cafe Harley Album Cover
- 1965 Panhead California Road Trip Photos
- Lowrider Magazine - Issue #1
- In Love with "Love Cycles"
- 1960s Simpson Drag Racing Jacket
- 1960s Bates Leather Jacket (Downturned collar)
- 1960s Bates Leather Racing Shirt (Non-Padded)
- 1960s Bates Leather Racing Shirt (Padded)
- The V-Guns Rock Out!
- Wild Triumph Rigid
- Triumph Mild Custom Circa 1953
- Bates Seats & Miscellaneous
- Late 70s Easyriders T-shirt
- Von Dutch Customized Pre-unit
- The Knucklehead Called "Willy"
- LP Cover from 1969
- Chromed Frame Triumph Rigid - 20th Century Fox
- Muerte HC Blogspot!
- Original Movie Stills from "the Wild One"
- Fonda's Wild Angels Replica Panhead?
- ▼ March (24)
Nostalgia's Weekly Favorites
This is some pretty handy information from the Lightning Red Wing Book 2!
I'm sure most of you have seen pictures of this incredible Pre-unit Triumph built by Todd Asin of Small City Cycles but wanted to ...
These shifters are all pretty sweet ways to stand out from the crowd! Type in Armond's Knucklehead in the search feature to see t...
1 POSTER - $135.00 / EA 2 POSTERS - $125.00 / EA 3 POSTERS - $120.00 / EA 4 POSTERS - $115.00 / EA 5 POSTERS - $105.00 / EA SOLD PO...
Furnished as both USN issue and civilian these Mackinaw Barnstormer jackets were pre WWII. This amazing civil...
You can compare the 1925 poster with the original art Wallace Smith art shown in the second to last picture. The final sh...