ACE WESTERN BELTS
CIRCLE A BRAND
HIGH GRADE US STANDARD
OLD SOUTHWESTERN TRAILS
ORANGE EMPIRE RAILWAY MUSEUM
SAN FERNANDO VALLEY MERCANTILE
TROY O'SHEA HANDMADE
USN ALL HANDS MAGAZINE ARCHIVE
Saturday, May 9, 2009
Chrome Plating & Hydrogen Embrittlement Relief
Many of you may already know this about chrome plating (though I didn't until recently) but a friend just showed me his old chromed harley springer and how rust is bubbling up through the chrome, hairline chrome cracks are weeping white powder, and some areas are becoming very fragile and almost crumbling. According to a couple people I've spoken with, freshly chromed parts, if baked at 350 degrees for 45 minutes within a 24 hour period of the chroming process can still be rid of hydrogen. This is important information to know as I do not believe many chrome platers ever bake the parts afterwards for hydogen removal! Please read the following articles as it appears the time between the chrome bath and the jump to oven spans between 1 to 24 hours!:
- ► 2017 (62)
- ► 2016 (248)
- ► 2015 (121)
- ► 2014 (242)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (96)
- ► 2011 (327)
- ► 2010 (568)
- Johnson or Scalora - Who Really Built the "Roman H...
- Chicago, IL Chop Shop!
- Roth SU Stacks???
- M. Smith Does the Pogo!
- Le Skinny Cat Pan!
- 1960s Bates Leather Jacket Options!
- WR Racer Coolness!
- 1945 Twist-o-Matic Knuckle!
- 1967 Von Speedway Custom Sketch
- Ed Roth Finned Dishpans?
- Original Wild One 1953 Movie Photos
- Wild Angels in Espanol!
- Cycle Delacatessen's 1954 Panhead Suprise!
- Wild One 1960 Reissue Movie Photos
- Robt Williams Drawn Roth Advertisement from 1968!
- Swingarm Pre-unit Wonder!
- V-Guns Play the Avalon - Sunday 05/24/09
- Was this Dresser Really Worth all the Haskell?
- Details that Pop!
- Choppers Magazine - November 1968 Cover
- Ed Roth's Choppers Magazine Advertisement from 196...
- Mickey Hall's Pre-unit Rigid Drag Bike
- Littlejohn Painted Trumpet
- Show Panhead with Rippled Sky Stacks
- Roth & Fuller at Work!
- In Awe!
- Chrome Plating & Hydrogen Embrittlement Relief
- Cycle Savages Swingarm Pre-unit
- Slidin' In Ariel Style
- Triumph "Two Timer" Twin Engine Drag Bike
- Gypsy Queen
- Cook's Corner for the Watercolor Connoisseur
- K-Model with Wacky Skyward Monkey Bars
- Seattle, Washington Triumph Show Rigid from 1963
- Super Girls Comp Album with '60s Triumphs from 197...
- Soldier & His Chevy Fleetline
- Slow Down - Old 50's Photo
- 1963 Bell Star Helmet
- Wierdos "Davey" Model Kit Ad - Circa 1963
- ▼ May (39)
Nostalgia's Weekly Favorites
I'm definitely intrigued by old novelty items so when I was poking around on the internet this weekend I ...
This is some pretty handy information from the Lightning Red Wing Book 2!
Though not motorcycle related I was looking for a picture of this Grosso deck as I remember it was one of my favorites when skateboarding a...
As far as I know the Bell 500-TX helmet was first produced in 1962 but I've been watching the 1968 examples like the one shown here...
Thanks to Guy at Greasy Kulture for turning me onto this book by Bill Ray called "Hells Angels of Berdoo '65- Inside th...
Correct me if I'm wrong as this Ebay bike is an "exact" replica of Peter Fonda's Panhead in Wild Angels but I don'...
The Art of Custom Painting " by Carl Caiti, published by Metalflake Inc, Haverhill, Mass., most likely in the early 70s, as...