ATR - At-The-Risers
Freedom Machinery & Accessories / Chopped Out
Hell on Wheels MC
Petersen Automotive Museum
Small City Cycles
The Speed Age Blog!
Saturday, May 9, 2009
Chrome Plating & Hydrogen Embrittlement Relief
Many of you may already know this about chrome plating (though I didn't until recently) but a friend just showed me his old chromed harley springer and how rust is bubbling up through the chrome, hairline chrome cracks are weeping white powder, and some areas are becoming very fragile and almost crumbling. According to a couple people I've spoken with, freshly chromed parts, if baked at 350 degrees for 45 minutes within a 24 hour period of the chroming process can still be rid of hydrogen. This is important information to know as I do not believe many chrome platers ever bake the parts afterwards for hydogen removal! Please read the following articles as it appears the time between the chrome bath and the jump to oven spans between 1 to 24 hours!:
- ► 2017 (62)
- ► 2016 (248)
- ► 2015 (121)
- ► 2014 (242)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (96)
- ► 2011 (327)
- ► 2010 (568)
- Johnson or Scalora - Who Really Built the "Roman H...
- Chicago, IL Chop Shop!
- Roth SU Stacks???
- M. Smith Does the Pogo!
- Le Skinny Cat Pan!
- 1960s Bates Leather Jacket Options!
- WR Racer Coolness!
- 1945 Twist-o-Matic Knuckle!
- 1967 Von Speedway Custom Sketch
- Ed Roth Finned Dishpans?
- Original Wild One 1953 Movie Photos
- Wild Angels in Espanol!
- Cycle Delacatessen's 1954 Panhead Suprise!
- Wild One 1960 Reissue Movie Photos
- Robt Williams Drawn Roth Advertisement from 1968!
- Swingarm Pre-unit Wonder!
- V-Guns Play the Avalon - Sunday 05/24/09
- Was this Dresser Really Worth all the Haskell?
- Details that Pop!
- Choppers Magazine - November 1968 Cover
- Ed Roth's Choppers Magazine Advertisement from 196...
- Mickey Hall's Pre-unit Rigid Drag Bike
- Littlejohn Painted Trumpet
- Show Panhead with Rippled Sky Stacks
- Roth & Fuller at Work!
- In Awe!
- Chrome Plating & Hydrogen Embrittlement Relief
- Cycle Savages Swingarm Pre-unit
- Slidin' In Ariel Style
- Triumph "Two Timer" Twin Engine Drag Bike
- Gypsy Queen
- Cook's Corner for the Watercolor Connoisseur
- K-Model with Wacky Skyward Monkey Bars
- Seattle, Washington Triumph Show Rigid from 1963
- Super Girls Comp Album with '60s Triumphs from 197...
- Soldier & His Chevy Fleetline
- Slow Down - Old 50's Photo
- 1963 Bell Star Helmet
- Wierdos "Davey" Model Kit Ad - Circa 1963
- ▼ May (39)
Nostalgia's Weekly Favorites
This is some pretty handy information from the Lightning Red Wing Book 2!
I'm sure most of you have seen pictures of this incredible Pre-unit Triumph built by Todd Asin of Small City Cycles but wanted to ...
This Harley has me stumped. At first I thought it was a JD but the springer is not a JD type and the support bar on the handlebars is thro...
These shifters are all pretty sweet ways to stand out from the crowd! Type in Armond's Knucklehead in the search feature to see t...