ATR - At-The-Risers
Freedom Machinery & Accessories / Chopped Out
Hell on Wheels MC
Petersen Automotive Museum
Small City Cycles
The Speed Age Blog!
Monday, November 9, 2009
A Couple of Mods to the 1967 Schwinn Deluxe Speedster Custom
I dusted off the Schwinn yesterday after its yearlong stay in storage as I wanted to ride something else besides the 10 speed, and decided to have another go at the blue Frankenstein peddler. If you're just tuning in this bike was my practical compromise between a Schwinn Manta Ray and functionality. This '67 deluxe speedster frame has the same fastback styling as the manta ray frame but its five years older. Rear wheel is a 26" which came on the speedster and has a Sturmey Archer three speed. The 3 speed stik is off a 60's Schwinn stingray and its rad because you can power shift the thing like a Hurst from 1st - 3rd gear or back down and so on and it has a pulley and a spring actuator to grab the gears correctly. New mods include the swap of the wide manta ray style seat for a skinnier Persons white metal flake variety, and the front 26" wheel was swapped out for a skinnier 27" off a 1972 Schwinn Varsity which gives the bike some speedway appeal. Ideal tigeroo growler horn rounds out the bike. This Liberace part adds a healthy bit of flare to the ride and has reflector eyes. I was riding around on some dirt hills in the dark tonight and the bike goes really well and you can actually stand up and peddle a steep hill and it won't jump out of gear. The tiger is rubber mounted and ready for any bumps and thumps along the roadway. In a bicycle world dominated by fixed gear hipsters it feels nice to put this old Schwinn contraption back on the road!
- ► 2017 (62)
- ► 2016 (248)
- ► 2015 (121)
- ► 2014 (242)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (96)
- ► 2011 (327)
- ► 2010 (568)
- The Meteors - Please Don't Touch (Early 80's w/ Bi...
- Vintage Barlux Chopper Toy
- AMT Ala Cart Modified & Revell's Triumph Show Bike...
- Thanksgiving Wishes
- 1965 Watts Riots Participant T-shirt
- Harley JD Racer!
- Modelo KH
- Early '60s Combo Posters
- Bonneville in '64
- Wild Harley Three-Wheeler
- 1948 Comic Cover Art with Motorcycle Girl
- Panel Truck & the Blue Ox
- 1967 Auto World Mail Order Model Kits from Revell ...
- Wild Triumph Hillclimber
- Los Amigos - Pre-unit Drag / Show Machines
- Wild 1967 Triumph Drag Bike Up for Auction by Gara...
- Gary Whitenack's Knuckle
- Yosef Blawr's Blog - Music & Beyond!
- A Couple of Mods to the 1967 Schwinn Deluxe Speeds...
- Joe Kid on a Stingray - The History of BMX!
- Jockey or Foot Shift for Hawgs?
- Tricycle with Style!
- Drilled to the Max!
- Bill Lindsay's "Cherry Trumpet"
- Flat Track in Minature Scale!
- Icarus Triumph Unit Drag Bike
- Muscle Power BMX!
- Triumph Drag Bike Circa 1962
- ▼ November (29)
Nostalgia's Weekly Favorites
This is some pretty handy information from the Lightning Red Wing Book 2!
Both of these photos came from a late 60s Men's Magazine article on the Hells Angels.
As far as I know the Bell 500-TX helmet was first produced in 1962 but I've been watching the 1968 examples like the one shown here...
I know a lobby card of this same image was posted earlier but I think this one is much clearer. Harley drag bike heading down the line. E...
Correct me if I'm wrong as this Ebay bike is an "exact" replica of Peter Fonda's Panhead in Wild Angels but I don'...