ATR - At-The-Risers
Freedom Machinery & Accessories / Chopped Out
Hell on Wheels MC
Petersen Automotive Museum
Small City Cycles
The Speed Age Blog!
Saturday, October 24, 2009
1968 Roth's Custom Bike / Choppers Magazine - Mitch's '54 Panhead
I just received this Sept. '68 Issue of Custom Bike / Choppers Magazine in the mail yesterday and will be posting different articles from the mag throughout the week. First of all, I'm stumped as the isuue name is Custom Bike Magazine and not Choppers Magazine. Its possible Roth went through an identity crisis but I've never seen one of the early issues that reads Custom Bike instead of Choppers. Anyhow, the first article is on Mitch's 1954 Panhead, and as you can see its equipped with some accessory wheel covers in back, an XA Springer, trippy padded mock gas tank up in front, and sissybar fuel tank extravaganza in back; not to mention the hairdryer bird deflector. Also featured in this issue is a rad article on the soul brothers of the LA Choppers M.C., an interview with Gary Littlejohn and his wild panhead, and Joe Alphabet talks about the various options or jockey and footshift for harleys. There's even a righteous swingarm pre-unit spread so stay tuned as you won't want to miss this early chopper nostalgia for this week!
After further review I do believe Epinut is correct acout the tail light being from a 1957 or 1958 Desoto (pictured above). The picture above is a 1957 Desoto. The 1959 Dodge Sierra (pictured below) has a similar looking tail light but the top most lens is too small and it has a grid pattern on the metal area that would be incorrect.
- ► 2017 (62)
- ► 2016 (248)
- ► 2015 (121)
- ► 2014 (242)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (96)
- ► 2011 (327)
- ► 2010 (568)
- B.F. Goodrich Tire Ad from the 1940's
- Hells Angels Painting, 1970's?
- Psychomania / The Death Wheelers!
- The Soul Brothers of The LA Choppers!
- Gary Littlejohn in 1968
- Two Wheel Tornado
- Early Show Panhead From 1962!
- Bury Me An Angel - Circa 1971
- 1968 Robt. Williams / Roth Choppers Magazine Ad
- Portraits of American Bikers - Collection II Book ...
- 1968 Roth's Custom Bike / Choppers Magazine - Mitc...
- 50's / 60's Lamoreaux and Milne Motorcycle T-shirt...
- Jay Harrison's 1947 Knucklehead - Street Chopper F...
- Ness' Knuckle
- 1980's RI Great Escape Poster
- More Mid-70's BMX Antics!
- Early BMX Photos!
- Runaways - Choppers Magazine 10/76
- Elvis' Harley K Model
- Ghost Rider #5 - Circa 1972
- 1960s Aurora Motorcycle Model Box Art
- Roustabout - 1964
- Wild Guitar - 1962
- The Wildest "Wild One" Photo
- Triumph T-bird Lakester - 132.26 MPH on Gas!
- Two Wheel Customs with Peddles
- Icy n' Dicey
- '51 Triumph Progress
- A Fistful of Dynamite / Duck You Sucker
- 1964 Revell Triumph Custom Show Bike X-Mas Ads
- 1947 AMA Magazine
- Gun Engraving Meets the Custom Motorcycle
- Daredevil Men - Late 60's
- Custom Unit Triumph
- Jail Scene from the "Wild One" - 1960 Reissue (Hi ...
- Chrome in the 50's
- Indian Scout Mild Custom
- Indian Photos from 1951
- Speedway in 1942!
- Look Magazine - January 9, 1968 - Irving Penn / He...
- Early 70's Revell Custom Motorcycle Madness!!!
- Hell on Wheels 2010 Cycle Calendar
- Cadillac Wheels Poster - 1975
- Sporty Drag Bike
- ▼ October (44)
Nostalgia's Weekly Favorites
This is some pretty handy information from the Lightning Red Wing Book 2!
1 POSTER - $135.00 / EA 2 POSTERS - $125.00 / EA 3 POSTERS - $120.00 / EA 4 POSTERS - $115.00 / EA 5 POSTERS - $105.00 / EA SOLD PO...
As far as I know the Bell 500-TX helmet was first produced in 1962 but I've been watching the 1968 examples like the one shown here...
Both of these photos came from a late 60s Men's Magazine article on the Hells Angels.
It's safe to say I'm a huge fan of WWII USN deck jackets. Though they're not very practical for wear unless its very cold out ...
Furnished as both USN issue and civilian these Mackinaw Barnstormer jackets were pre WWII. This amazing civil...